WRJ, the RAC, and other Reform Movement institutions are proud to cosponsor NCJW's Repro Shabbat February 9-10 (Parashat Mishpatim), when the Reform Jewish Movement will join with the wider Jewish community to recommit ourselves to reproductive health and rights. As you incorporate reflection, lessons, and advocacy around abortion access and reproductive freedom in your community's programming during this time, we share these resources.
Here you will find material to guide reflection, support abortion access, and uplift the Reform Movement's commitment to abortion access and reproductive freedom in your congregations and communities for Repro Shabbat and beyond.
There are many ways to incorporate reproductive freedom as a Jewish value into your Shabbat service this Repro Shabbat. With so much impacting the Jewish communal world right now, we can awaken parts of our Jewish identity through Repro Shabbat, whether it looks like a large Shabbat service at your congregation or saying a prayer as you light candles at home.
Check out the NCJW website to find a Repro Shabbat event near you and additional resources to host your own Repro Shabbat, join with others, or practice privately.
For ELEMENTS TO INCLUDE IN YOUR REPRO SHABBAT, check out:
- A message from WRJ Executive Director, Rabbi Liz P.G. Hirsch (she/her)
- A prayer from Rabbi Liz P.G. Hirsch (she/her)
- NCJW’s Liturgical Resources
For WAYS TO PROTECT AND SUPPORT ACCESS TO ABORTION, CHECK OUT:
- How WRJ is partnering with the RAC and how you can get involved!
- Path Forward on Abortion Resource Guide
- WRJ's 2023 Reproductive Health and Rights Page
- To best inform ourselves as we participate in Repro Shabbat this year, read this legislative update from RAC/WRJ Legislative Assistant, Rachel Landis.
- To commemorate the 50th anniversary of Roe v. Wade on January 22, 2023, WRJ asked individuals from across the Reform Movement: 'What does reproductive freedom mean to you?' Read their responses.
- View 50th Anniversary of Roe v. Wade and Repro Shabbat Reform Movement Resources
- Read the statement issued by Women of Reform Judaism President Sara Charney and Executive Director Emerita Rabbi Marla J. Feldman on the 50th anniversary of Roe v. Wade.
- From the same year, read WRJ VP of Social Justice Shoshana Dweck's D'var Torah on Parashat Mishpatim.
If you have any questions about how to sign up to bring a Repro Shabbat to your community, congregation, or home, reach out to WRJ Social Justice Manager Rena Crawford at email@example.com.